Website Privacy Statement
Your privacy is incredibly important to us. How we process and handle your personal information is explained in this policy so as to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“POPI”).
We may also receive information about the equipment or device you use to access or use our website, how you access our website, your browser or operating system, your Internet Protocol address, the geographic location from which you accessed our website, including your device’s global positioning system signal and information about nearby Wi-Fi networks and cell towers, which are obtained when you use location-enabled services and other information about you from third parties, such as social media.
You are not obliged to supply any Personal Information that you want to keep private. If you purchase goods and services on our website and you do not wish to provide either your telephone number or email address, communication with you will be restricted. However, if you do not provide a method to communicate with you, we will not be able to process your order.
Please note that we only request your banking details in order to accept your payment/s electronically through Payfast and/ or Payflex. If for any reason you consent to giving us your bank details, we shall retain those details only for so long as it is necessary to carry out the purpose for which you provided us the details.
All personal information you give us depends on you consenting to give us that information. Even after you have given us any personal information, you may request us to remove your personal information from our data base.
We do not collect personal information about you from other sources. If you have concerns about the personal information we request on our website, you may address these concerns to the Information Officer of Health Central. The details of the Information Officer are set out at the end of this policy.
You warrant that the information you have provided is accurate, current, true and correct and that does not impersonate or misrepresent any person, entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with anyone or anything.
We keep your personal information on a secure server. However, when you browse Health Central’s network, and you upload any personal information on our website, our provider for is based in South Africa.
By accessing and using our website, you consent to us retaining records of your Personal Information for no longer than may be necessary to achieve the purpose for which the information was initially collected or subsequently processed.
General policy concerning the use of personal information
Health Central respects your privacy. We are committed to respect your privacy in accord with POPI and will strive to apply the protections accorded personal information in any other legislation, local and international, which may be applicable.
Health Central uses your personal information for the following main purposes:
- To create and register your user account;
- To administer and process your purchases of our goods and services, which includes but are not limited to the acceptance of electronic payments and the shipping and/ or delivery of our goods and
- To keep in touch with you via emails, telephonically, SMSs and social media, on condition you consent to these communications (Please note that Health Central has an unsubscribe function on its emails and SMS’s in the event you no longer wish to receive our newsletter and other email communications).
- To identify and verify your identity;
- To enter into a contract with you and to fulfil our contractual obligations;
- To get feedback from you which we need to develop our products and services and grow our business.
- To comply with any legal or regulatory obligations; and/ or
- To undertake research and statistical
Information security and quality
Health Central will protect the quality and integrity of your personal information at all times. You are also entitled to know what personal information Health Central keeps about you. To request access to your personal information and to assist Health Central to correct inaccuracies in your personal information please send an email to our Information Officer. The details of the Information Officer are set out at the end of this policy.
It is important to know your rights, particularly those in terms of POPI. You have the right inter alia to:
- View, correct and/or amend your Personal Information we process;
- Request a record or description of your Personal Information;
- Request to have your Personal Information corrected, destroyed or deleted;
- Us complying with your requests upon receipt unless we have credible reason why we cannot comply;
- Us indicating where, if we cannot agree whether to correct or delete your Personal Information as requested, that a correction or deletion was requested but was not made;
- Inform you if reasonably practicable, should we change your Personal Information and this has an impact on decisions about you;
- Us notifying you of the action taken by us because of your request;
- Us notifying you of unauthorised access to your Personal Information;
- Us providing you with reasonable evidence of our compliance with our obligations under this policy on reasonable notice and request;
- Submit a complaint to the Information
Opt-Out of Direct Marketing
You have the right to request us not to contact you for purposes of direct marketing by any form of electronic communication by “opting-out” of any direct marketing communications we may send to you.
Use of Personal Information Outside of South Africa
We may transfer certain Personal Information outside the geographic borders of South Africa to service providers for purposes set out above, including for data storage and back-up purposes to ensure the integrity of our systems.
When we transfer your Personal Information outside of the geographic borders of South Africa, we will ensure that we do so in accordance with the requirements for lawful transfer outside of South Africa as set out in POPI.
You may disable the collection of cookies on your browser and you may browse the internet and our website incognito. It is a function easy to engage on your browser. We will not use your Personal Information for any other purpose without your permission.
Categories of information we collect and process
Health Central collects and processes Personal Information in a manner that is reasonable, adequate, relevant, non-excessive and purpose-specific. When you access our website, register as a user and/ or purchase any goods and/ or services from us, we have to collect and process your Personal Information to render our services to you. In order to do so, we may collect inter alia the following categories of personal information:
- Your name and surname;
- Your email address;
- Your telephone number;
- Physical address;
- Billing address;
- Your banking details; and/ or
- Other information used to create your user account and/ or for shipping and/ or delivery
Should your Personal Information change or you wish to amend and/ or correct this Personal Information you can do this by updating your user information in your account profile or contact Health Central directly for assistance in this regard.
Collection and processing of Personal Information
When you access our website, we process your personal information to render our services to you and by doing so, we may receive log information, through online identifiers, including information on how, when and for how long you use our website and other services, as well as the content you view and search queries you submit.
Our systems are not invulnerable to Zero Day attacks. (A Zero Day attack means the first type of attack of its kind.) So, we cannot guarantee that any personal information you communicate to us will be absolutely secure. However, we take all precautions reasonably available to protect your personal information.
Among the many things we do to secure your personal information, we use the following essential protocols:
- All our computers are updated regularly;
- We employ firewalls and up-to-date anti-virus protection; and
- Our staff do not open links and documents from unsolicited
So, if you are making contact with us for the first time, please do not send us PDF documents or open links in your emails.
If we suffer a breach of your personal information, we will immediately inform the Information Regulator of the breach. We will also let you know the nature and extent of that breach, unless the Information Regulator requires us to wait for the completion of investigations into the breach.
And, of course, to the best of our ability, we will close the attack vector immediately.
Retention of personal information
We keep your personal information for as long as you allow us to keep your information, for as long as the law requires us to keep such information or for as long as it is necessary to uphold the contract between you and us.
If you request us to delete your personal information from our data base, we will do so immediately. However, if you do not request us to delete your personal information, we will keep your information for three years after your last contact with Health Central or as stipulated above. We base the three year limit on the Prescription Act 68 of 1969 which has a three year prescription for debts.
If your Personal Information is used for more than one purpose, we will retain it until the purpose with the latest period expires but we will stop using it for the purpose with a shorter period once that period expires.
We secure the integrity and confidentiality of your Personal Information in our possession or under our control by taking appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to prevent loss of, damage to or unauthorised destruction of Personal Information; and unlawful access to or processing of Personal Information.
In order to implement and maintain such measures, we have in place policies, controls and related processes, which are reviewed and updated on a regular basis.
Sharing of information
We may provide or make your Personal Information available to our employees and/ or third party service providers in the following circumstances:
- In order to enable them to assist us to interact with you via our website for the ordering of goods and services and/ or when shipping or delivering goods and services to you;
- When the disclosure of Personal Information is necessary or appropriate in connection with an investigation of fraud, intellectual property infringements, or other activity that is illegal or may expose us to legal liability or financial loss, to report or support the investigation into suspected illegal activity;
- In the event of any reorganisation, merger, consolation, sale, joint venture, or other disposition of any or all of our assets;
- When assisted by third parties with parts of our business operations; and/ or
- Our suppliers in order for them to liaise directly with you regarding any goods you have purchased or for any other purpose which may require their
Persons under the Age of 18
All users of our website that are below the age of 18 years, must always get permission from their parent or guardian before they use our website or give us their Personal Information. We may check that your parent or guardian has given you such permission. We may also check that the contact details you have given us are correct and the details of a person who is actually your parent or guardian. If you are aware that you do not have the required permission of your parent or guardian or if we are not able to verify such permission or if a parent or guardian confirms that you do not have their permission, you are strictly prohibited from using our website.
By accessing and using our website, you consent to us transferring your Personal Information outside of South Africa as set out in POPI.
Questions and complaints
If you are unhappy with the way in which we address your questions and complaints, you also have the right to refer a complaint to the Information Regulator at:
4th Floor, JD House, 27 Stiemens Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2001
P.O Box 31533, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, 2017
The Information Officer of Health Central: Shameeg Brenner
E-mail address of our Information Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org